1.12.2009

Can MInisters and Freaks Be Friends?

This weekend my very bestest friend in the whole world told me that he had received a calling and was thinking of becoming a minister. He wanted to know if I would still be his friend. Of course, I would. I couldn't figure out why he would ask such a silly question. We've been friends for over 25 years, he was my first true love, knows ALL my secrets, yada, yada, yada.

As the conversation went on, I realized that the real question was whether he could still be my friend. He said that when he was contemplating this decision, I was the only person he thought of...more specifically, he thought about my sexuality. I jokingly asked if he was intending on trying to save me. He said no. I am the most honest person he knows and he loves me the way I am...would never ask me to change BUT it wouldn't look very good if he's preaching to others about the exact things that his best friend is doing.

WTF?!? So...basically, he will be condemning everyone else like me, but I get a friend pass. Initially I was pissed, but I've come to realize that I'm not so much pissed as I am hurt.

So, what do you think...can a minister be friends with a freak?

No comments: